Welcome to our new website where I hope that you enjoy it and find what you are looking for. I am honoured and privileged to be the Head Teacher of Newbattle High School. I am proud to be leading such a great school where our aims, values and vision are centred on supporting all young people to exceed beyond their potential. This is reflected in our school motto “Challenge”. The school’s ethos is ambitious, inclusive and supportive.
Based within our Community Campus, working together for better outcomes is a priority and I see this every day in action where we know, and are proud of, our students.
We are well supported by our parent/carers, community and partners both in and outside of school.
Our school vision
Our school, at the heart of our community.
Newbattle High School ensures that all students enjoy their learning in a caring, nurturing ethos and will exceed their potential. By the end of S6, all students will be digitally literate and have the opportunities to progress through pathways towards employment, apprenticeships, College or University.
Our school is the first Digital Centre of Excellence in Scotland. This will advantage our pupils and community within, and beyond, the school curriculum digitally.
A few aspects of our vision which sets us apart. All students are strongly encouraged to stay on until the end of S6 with correct courses to suit every young adult. These range from Advanced Higher, Work Based Learning, College Delivery onsite, Mountain Bike Mechanics etc. We have an overwhelmingly nurturing ethos here where every student counts. We are a Centre of Excellence Digitally with resources, partners, learning pedagogy etc to ensure that our pupils are advantaged digitally ready for the 4th Industrial/Digital revolution. We have learner pathways for career, College or University and have engaged Higher Education (Edinburgh University being a pivotal partner), Further Education (Edinburgh College being a pivotal partner) and Businesses as partners in the totality of our curriculum and school.
Our Values for Life
- Trust – to feel confident and secure by building relationships based on honesty and fairness
- Respect – to be considerate of the needs, wishes and feelings of others as well as your own worth
- Perseverance – continued determination to succeed and never give up in spite of difficulties
- Responsibility – making informed decisions and being accountable for your own actions
- Humour – maintain a positive outlook on life even in the face of adversity
- Focus – concentrate fully on the task in hand and avoid distractions
- Offer a curriculum for all, which is broad, balanced, differentiated and challenging, delivered through appropriate teaching methods
- Encourage students to do their best in all they attempt
- Strive to maintain a highly trained, committed and approachable staff
- Provide an attractive and safe working environment for students and staff
- Recognise and value achievements of all types and at all levels
- Work to provide equality of opportunity for all members of the school community
- Expect all members of the school to show respect for each other and for their environment
- Operate a firm, fair system of discipline and encourage students to develop self-discipline
- Promote quality leadership and good communication at all levels
- Encourage parent/carers to support and participate in the life and purpose of the school
- Develop and maintain active links with associated primaries, partners and the community
- Deliver opportunities which develop health and wellbeing to students and staff
- Ensure that all pupils are given equal opportunities to participate in a range of activities leading to the completion of our Ten Point Pledge/Newbattle Award.
Newbattle High School moved to our state of the art new building as a Digital Centre of Excellence within our new Newbattle Campus in June 2018. The Campus includes the community library services, internet cafe, sport and leisure as well as the school. A virtual tour can be seen at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46G52CsDgSg.
Newbattle High School is a non-denominational secondary school that meets the learning needs of pupils from ages 11 to 18. Our current roll is just under 900 pupils with projections to increase significantly. The new school building opened in June 2018 and currently serves the communities of Mayfield, Easthouses, Newtongrange, Gorebridge, North Middleton, Temple and the surrounding areas.
The school is less than three miles by road from the Edinburgh bypass and this is one of the factors that have caused significant amounts of new housing to be built around the community in the last decade which will lead to a growth in school roll. There are very good public transport links with Edinburgh including the nearby Newtongrange railway station, the Waverley Line that runs from Edinburgh to the Borders.
The school works with a wide range of businesses, colleges and universities to ensure the curriculum is up-to-date and that young people develop the skills they need to compete in the global knowledge economy. The focus is on digital industries such as robotics, data science, informatics, digital marketing, graphic design, video and music production. A key aim is to help tackle the cycle of poverty by providing equity of access to excellent learning opportunities. The school also offers an enhanced curriculum and state-of-the-art IT provision, together with specialist teaching, dedicated resources and the highest quality work-based learning opportunities. Activities within the centre of excellence are also closely aligned with the Data-Driven Innovation Programme being led by the University of Edinburgh. We have exciting new projects ready with a range of partners including significant research and development opportunities with the University of Edinburgh. Newbattle High School have consulted with Education Scotland, Scottish Government and are held in high esteem with our vision and plans to further improve attainment, achievement and sustained positive destinations through partnership working with Edinburgh University, Edinburgh College partners and businesses (like Standard Life/Aberdeen, Apex Hotels etc).